Saturday, January 23, 2010

Last day in Nepal: Trekking

Hey there! this is me blogging at the Manang Hotel... where the internet connection is the fastest... and they have a generater!

It's Saturday morning here.  We are leaving for Thailand at Noon.  Yesterday we went on a fabulous hike in the mountains.  I took 100 pictures but can only share a few below for now.

But first I want to say Happy Birthday to my wonderful father!  My sisters are gathering at his house to celebrate tonight.  I will be in the Dehli airport waiting for our next flight, but I will be thinking of you Dad! I love you.

Here are pictures of our 3 hour 7K trek led by our tour guide and friend, Tek Khakural of Les Portes de Adventures.  We first toured a World Heritage site, Changu Nayaran, the oldest Hindu temple in the valley, and then from there, a hike through the foothills and several villages to the little town of Nagarkot.

Can you see the white caps? as usual the smog often blurs the view of these beautiful mountains.
Amy found some friends along the way.  They were asking for "Bon Bons" - candy



At the end of the hike, we were able to see the sun setting over the mountains. My little camera can't capture the beauty but here's my best shot.
At the end of hike everyone was pretty tired.  Most of the students slept in the bus on the way back to the city.

Laura, Erik and I were honored to join Dr. Kafle, Krishna (the father of son with autism we met), Tek (our tour guide) for dinner.  Dr. Kafle introduced us to a cafe owned and run by people who are deaf! Our waiter was very entertaining. It was a wonderful going away dinner. We will miss our new friends.
Gotta go and pack now.  We have a long layover in Delhi, India.  See you in Thailand!

To my sweet little boys, Alec and Carter.  I miss you and love you all the way to the moon and back.
Mommy

3 comments:

  1. Hey, everyone. I hope that the trip to Thailand is smooth. The photos of Nepal and the descriptions have been great. It seems to me that the women have adopted the dress of Nepal--bright colors and layers. The guys still look the same. I want to know if Kristen will continue her signature yellow pashmina when she returns to UD?

    I'm even more jealous of you and sorry that I was not there this week. I'm counting the days until I'm with the group again. I can't wait to hear about the details of the time in Nepal.

    Have a safe trip to Bangkok.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here - wonderful pictures - keep them coming. And safe travels to Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael and George, I can't wait to tell you more details. I learning so much and its been amazing so far.

    ReplyDelete